Council insurance claims
If you want to make an insurance claim against the Council and need further information, please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 01636 655324 and we will send you a claim pack.
Please treat our staff with courtesy - they will always try to help you.
Our insurance charter sets out how claims will be dealt with, including timescales.
1. You will be sent a written acknowledgement within five working days of any written claim being notified to the Council’s insurance officer.
2. All initial investigations into your claim will normally be completed within ten working days providing you, or your representative, have provided all the necessary information.
3. Your claim, unless rejected outright, will be forwarded to our insurers for further action within five working days of its initial receipt by the insurance officer - if you are asked to supply additional information, there may be some delay.
4. You will be sent a written acknowledgement from our insurers/loss adjusters within 15 working days of their receipt of the claim.
5. Our insurers/loss adjusters will deal with your claim as soon as possible and you will be notified of their decision in writing.
6. Any payment to be made to you will be dispatched within five working days of the relevant written instructions being received from our insurers/loss adjusters - if you are indebted to the Council or Newark & Sherwood Homes for any reason, this will be taken into account and deducted from any payment made to you.
7. Please inform us of any changes in circumstances related to your claim and it is essential that you let us know as soon as possible.
8. If you need to contact us about your claim always quote your name and address and, if possible, your claim reference - this will ensure your enquiry is dealt with as quickly as possible.
Reporting fraudulent claims
Fraudulent claims against the Council can cost our residents thousands of pounds as taxpayers.
Whilst we know that there are genuine claims made by people, we also know that a number of claims may be false.
To report somebody making a fraudulent insurance claim against the council, please call 01636 655324. Or you can write to us, marking your letter for the attention of Financial Services.
The National Fraud Initiative
This is an exercise that matches electronic data within and between public and private sector bodies to prevent and detect fraud. Find out more about how we counter fraud and the national fraud initiative.
Information for solicitors
If you're a third party solicitor enquiring about our insurance policy details and Portal ID:
For claims pre 1 February 2019:
- for EL our insurer is Zurich Municipal, policy number QLA 10H081 0093 and the portal compensator ID C00108
- for PL our insurer is Zurich Municipal, policy number QLA 10H081 0093 and the portal compensator ID C00108
- For claims post 1 February 2019 (inclusive):
- for EL our insurer is QBE, policy number Y128090QBE0119A and the portal compensator is Gallagher Bassett and the Portal ID is ‘D00019
- for PL our insurer is QBE, policy number Y128090QBE0119A and the portal compensator is Gallagher Bassett and the Portal ID is ‘D00019
- for Claims against Newark & Sherwood Homes LTD: (pre Feb 2020)
- for EL our insurer is Zurich Municipal, policy number JHA-22S271-0013 and the portal compensator ID C00108
- for PL our insurer is Zurich Municipal, policy number JHA-22S271-0013 and the portal compensator ID C00108
Defendant only CNFs must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Castle House.