Club premises certificate

UK licensing regulations recognise that volunteer and social clubs give rise to different issues for licensing law than commercially run premises selling directly to the public.

These clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men's or cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to purchase alcohol in bulk for its members. The clubs carry on activities from premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit.

Why do we need a club premises certificate?

Your club will need a certificate to:

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests

There is no need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence, nor the requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor. There are also more limited rights of entry for the police and other authorised persons, as the premises are considered private and not generally open to the public.

Who qualifies for a club premises certificate?

To be classified as a qualifying club you must make sure you:

  • have premises occupied and used regularly by the club
  • have at least 25 members
  • establish and conduct the club in good faith
  • have new members wait two days after applying before receiving member benefits
  • supply alcohol or entertainment only to members and their guests

To qualify as a club authorised to supply alcohol to its members and guests, additional conditions must be met:

  • the purchase and supply of alcohol by and for the club must be managed by a committee made up of elected members of the club all aged over 18 years
  • no person must benefit financially from selling alcohol
  • only supply alcohol to members on the premises by or on behalf of the club

Making an application for a club premises certificate

Clubs in Newark and Sherwood should apply to us for a club premises certificate online.

To make an application you must submit a:

  • completed application form
  • plan of the premises in the required form
  • copy of the club’s rules
  • club operating schedule

Your operating schedule should include:

  • the qualifying club activities to which the application relates and, where these include the supply of alcohol, whether the supplies are for consumption on and/or off premises
  • proposed hours of those activities and any other times during which it is proposed that the premises are to be open to the public
  • the steps you propose to take to promote the licensing objectives (for example, the arrangements for door security to promote the prevention of crime and disorder)

How long does a club premises certificate last?

A club premises certificate has no time limit and will continue to have effect unless:

  • it is withdrawn by the licensing authority following an application for the review of the certificate
  • the club ceases to be a qualifying club
  • it lapses on surrender by the club

Will I still be able to sell or supply alcohol to under 18s in the club?

No. It is an offence for the club, or any member or employee, to supply alcohol to a member who is under 18.