Raffles, totes and lotteries

The promotion of lotteries (this covers raffles and totes) is governed by the Gambling Act 2005.

Your society must fill out and return a raffles, totes and lotteries registration form (PDF File, 318kb) if you wish to hold certain lotteries in Newark and Sherwood.

There is an initial licensing fee of £40. Subsequently your registration can be renewed each year by completing this lottery renewal form (PDF File, 589kb) and returning with a fee of £20.

Pay your licence fee online.

We have 28 days from receipt to process your application. You’ll be provided with a registration certificate. A register of licensed lotteries is available at the council offices for public inspection.

‌The following types of lottery do not require registration:

  • a private lottery where the sale of tickets is strictly restricted to members of a society only, such as a rugby club or a sports and social club
  • a small lottery where tickets are sold and prizes are drawn at the same event, such as a social dinner or bazaar

Find out more about the different sorts of lottery and exemptions (PDF File, 72kb).


You must register if your raffle tickets are sold prior to the day of the draw.

Tickets must be pre-printed and include:

  • the name of Newark and Sherwood Council
  • the name of your society
  • the name and the address of the promoter
  • the date on which the draw is to take place

Following the draw, you must complete a returns form detailing money spent on expenses (PDF File, 111kb) and prizes and how much money was raised. You cannot spend more than 80% of the total proceeds on prizes.


If only members of your society hold tote numbers, this is classed as a private lottery and is exempt from the act. If, however, members of the public take part in the tote, then you must register, and submit a return of expenses form (PDF File, 111kb). Again, you cannot spend more than 80% of the total proceeds on prizes.

If you have any queries about if your raffle needs a licence please contact us.