Renting a home

When you’re thinking about renting a home, it’s important to consider all the options available to you.

We’re here to explain those options, helping you understand the full costs of renting and offering help and advice if times get hard.

Options to rent

There are a number of people you can rent a home from:

Each landlord has different rules about who can live in their homes. Organisations such as shelter provide information and advice on housing.

Types of tenancy

Different landlords will offer different tenancies:

  • an assured shorthold tenancy is available from housing associations - this will be an introductory tenancy initially and subject to satisfactory completion will be transferred to being an assured tenancy
  • a secure tenancy allows you to live in the property for the rest of your life, as long as you do not break the conditions of the tenancy - it is usually granted to new council tenants who have successfully completed a twelve month introductory tenancy, or tenants who transfer from an existing Newark and Sherwood District Council tenancy to another council tenancy
  • an assured tenancy may be offered when a housing management company is providing the tenancy on behalf of another landlord
  • most private landlords offer an assured shorthold tenancy up to six months

Each landlord will have their own tenancy agreement with terms and conditions setting their rules of the tenancy. You will receive this as a document to sign. Some landlords may require a deposit and references.

The guide for private sector housing tenants (PDF File, 713kb) is a helpful, independent guide for people looking to rent a property in the private sector, covering the stages from choosing your landlord and viewings, through to the responsibilities of your landlord and you, as a tenant during and at the end of your tenancy.

Notice periods

You must inform your landlord when you wish to leave your home. This is called a notice period.

If you are a Council tenant you must give us at least four weeks' notice in writing – you can find out more on the tenant information page. Other landlords may have different notice periods. They will be set out in your tenancy agreement.

The costs of renting

There are lots of costs associated with owning or renting a home. As well as rent, you’ll also need to pay:

  • home contents insurance
  • council tax
  • gas
  • electricity
  • water rates
  • phone and broadband
  • TV licence
  • TV services connection and aerial cost
  • basic maintenance costs for your property and garden (if applicable)

This is in addition to everyday living costs for example food, clothes and transport.

Need help working out what you can afford? Request a financial assessment from our income management team via our contact form.

Homeless – urgent housing

Losing your home is a frightening and stressful time and we’re here to help. You don’t have to wait until you have lost your home to seek assistance.

Find out about how we can help if you’re in the process of losing your home.

Single person accommodation

If you’re single and looking for a place to live that supports your independence please contact us for information on the services available in the district. Priority is given to applicants with a local connection.