Newark and Sherwood community grant scheme
Newark and Sherwood Community Grant Scheme aims to support district based registered charities, unincorporated associations, trust or charitable/ not-for-profit companies limited by guarantee/ community interest companies (where these are not-for-profit), constituted voluntary and community groups, societies or clubs with projects or initiatives that align to the Council’s Community Plan objectives.
The scheme recognises the important contribution that local organisations make to improving peoples’ quality of life and that small amounts of funding can often help to get a project off the ground or enhance its impact.
Grants will be available up to £20,000. Any grant awarded over £5,000 will need to demonstrate match funding at 50% above the £5,000 threshold.
Applications will be assessed a minimum of twice a year, unless all funding has been allocated.
Approvals will generally be via the councils Cabinet following consideration by a cross party panel. For expediency and where necessary, following the panel process, applications can be approved by the relevant Portfolio Holder and referred to Cabinet for information to ensure that key timeframes are adhered to.
To be successful, applicants will need to demonstrate:
- A local need for the project
- How the project contributes to one or more of the council’s community plan objectives
- That the project takes place within the district
- Financial information to support application (this includes considering the level of reserves the group has access to and evidence to support the need for council funding, including that the funding is not being applied for retrospectively).
Additional weighting will be given to those projects that meet the following criteria:
- Projects that contribute to overcoming the cost-of-living crisis
- Projects that contribute to public protection by reducing crime or anti-social behaviour
- Projects that improve bio-diversity or contribute to reducing climate change
- Projects that can demonstrate match funding (above £5k)
Full details of the funding criteria and funding eligibility can be found here: Newark and Sherwood Community Grant Scheme Guidance 2023 (PDF File, 154kb)
Applications are invited from 13 November 2023.
Applications must be submitted by mid-day on 22 December 2023
Please download and print off the official application form as applications can only be accepted on this form: Community Grant Scheme Application Form 2023 [124kb]
All applications should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org by this deadline. A member of the Community Development Team will contact you to confirm receipt of your application and may request any outstanding documentation or supporting information to ensure your application can be submitted to Cabinet.
The Panel reserves the right to use a level of discretion in exceptional circumstances where deemed appropriate when considering requests for grant support to ensure opportunities are not missed.