District Council continues to deliver support to flooded communities

Posted on: Monday, January 8, 2024

Work continues to support local communities suffering the effects of Storm Henk. Newark and Sherwood District Council officers are out in some of the worst-affected areas today with teams visiting homes on Kelham Road and Carlton Ferry Lane as well as the villages of Gunthorpe, Lowdham and Collingham.

The Council, alongside emergency services, has also helped to deliver aid via boat to residents in Girton. The village remains inaccessible by road and Council officers hope to be able to make more trips there on the boats today. 

Councillor Paul Peacock, Leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council, said: β€œWe know that many of our residents are still impacted by the flooding and we will be doing all we can to continue to support them. While we have been working all weekend, and continue to do so, delivering flooding response to the communities who need it, we have also begun work on recovery and clean-up, with officers out now clearing roads and footpaths. It’s a huge task and we are working hard to do this as quickly and efficiently as safely possible. We will also be getting in touch with affected businesses as soon as possible too.

β€œI want to take a moment as well to express my sincere thanks to all flood wardens, volunteers, community groups, emergency services, residents and businesses who have supported each other and assisted our officers in their efforts. Seeing residents across Newark and Sherwood looking out for each other is amazing and just shows how resilient and caring we are as a community. Thank you and stay safe.” 

District Council waste collection vehicles are also out today, emptying any uncollected bins in areas where water has subsided. For areas which remain inaccessible, special collection rounds will be organised when possible.

The Government has announced a Flood Recovery Framework offering financial support to those impacted by flooding and the District Council will be sharing details of how to apply for this shortly.

Residents with bulky flood-damaged waste that needs to be disposed of are encouraged to contact their insurance company in the first instance as some may help with the disposal of large items or provide you with a skip. However, for those who need help disposing of large household items, the District Council can assist. Collections for flood-damaged items can be arranged by calling 01636 650000 and residents should note that upholstery and electrical items will need to be handled separately.

Any road cleaning issues can be reported to the District Council via a form on their website or by calling 01636 650000. Blocked drains can be reported to Nottinghamshire County Council Highways online or by calling 0300 500 8080 and potholes can be reported on the same number or on the County Council website.