Older people's housing needs

Need help making the right decisions to solve your housing issues? We’re here to help older people in the Newark and Sherwood area with concerns about their current or future housing situation.

As we get older it may become harder to accomplish everyday activities such as getting around the house, looking after the garden and keeping on top of cleaning and cooking.

Living independently can become difficult following bereavement, a fall or illness, or maybe just because you are feeling isolated and lonely. You may struggle to heat your home and keep on top of the bills.

Helping you to stay in your home

We can help you stay in your home by providing advice on:

Helping you to choose appropriate accommodation

If staying in your home is no longer the best option, we can support your move to a new home, providing help with:

  • deciding what type of accommodation will suit you best
  • filling in forms
  • arranging medical assessments
  • accompanying you to view properties
  • dealing with estate agents, solicitors etc
  • benefit claims
  • change of address for correspondence
  • packing and removal
  • making adaptations
  • setting up utility services

Types of housing with support

There are a range of housing options to consider where support is available. We run three extra care schemes in the district, others are run by housing associations with a range of options to buy or rent. Each scheme has different facilities and services charges linked to the additional services provided by the scheme.

Common features of schemes where support is provided include:

  • onsite based staff
  • options for some or all meals to be provided
  • communal areas for residents
  • support available for day to day personal activities

Supported housing

Supported housing offers independent living for people who have mobility, medical or disability needs by offering:

  • 24 hour emergency call system
  • 24 hour contact and support service
  • communal facilities

Extra care housing

Extra care housing supports independent living for people who would benefit from facilities including:

  • staff on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • access to on site communal facilities
  • safe and secure accommodation
  • meals and laundry facilities onsite
  • 24 hour emergency call system
  • working with care and health providers
  • working with relatives to share information
  • level access showers
  • assisted bathing facilities

How do I access the free advice service?

To access this service, fill in the housing support form, email us at housingoptions2@newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk or call 01636 650000.

The help and support offered by your housing support worker is free. There may be charges for some additional services but your support worker will make sure available funding and voluntary services are used and costs are kept to a minimum.

If you’re a carer or service provider for an older person who you think may benefit from this service, you can complete one of our referral forms, which your organisation may already have access to, or give us a call.


Silverlinks is a free service, delivered by Age UK that will help you understand the options and reach your own decisions about your housing and care needs as you get older. They also pro-vide information about where to go for specific advice and support. It’s available to anyone aged 55 and over. Advice is shared either via peer-to-peer support or workshops.

For the peer-to-peer support a team of volunteers share their direct experiences of the life challenges they’ve faced and how they've overcome them. This can be done in person or by telephone, offering a positive outlook that can be very encouraging if you’re facing a similar situation.

The workshops take place regularly across the county and are designed to encourage you to consider where you live now, and assess its suitability for the present and for the future.

Topics covered include:

  • the different aspects of maintaining and looking after a property
  • help available for maintenance tasks
  • help available if you’re struggling with everyday tasks
  • the different types of adaptations available to make life easier
  • how to make informed decisions about your care
  • different types of housing available to older people should you wish to move
  • what to consider when moving into care
  • where to go for money or legal advice.

For information on the latest sessions and support available contact Dianne Marshall: on 0115 859 9261 or dianne.marshall@ageuknotts.org.uk

Handy Person Adaptation Service (HPAS)

The handy person adaptation service (HPAS) provides help with essential minor adaptations and small practical jobs, helping you to live more safely and independently at home.

The service is available to people living in Newark and Sherwood who are either aged 60 or over or disabled.

Examples of jobs which can be carried out range from fitting grab rails and stair rails to putting up shelves and fitting door and window locks.

Find out more about the HPAS service on the Notts Help Yourself website.