Universal Credit

Universal Credit has replaced several benefits for people of working age, on a low income and who are not working. It’s administered nationally by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You may be able to get universal credit if:

  • you’re on a low income or out of work
  • you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17)
  • you’re under state pension age (or your partner is)
  • you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you
  • you live in the UK

Check whether you qualify using this free benefit and budgeting calculator.

Find out more about Universal Credit and the benefits it has replaced on the gov.uk website or on the Understanding Universal Credit website.

Apply for Universal Credit online

You can apply for Universal Credit online via the gov.uk website.

You’ll need the following to hand when you make your application:

  • national insurance number
  • details of any capital held in any bank, building society or Post Office accounts
  • your tenancy agreement (where applicable)
  • details of other income
  • details of other benefits you receive
  • details of your household make up maybe required (e.g. partners' income)
  • your email address and telephone number
  • proof of identity e.g. passport, driver’s licence or credit/debit card.

Universal Credit can only be backdated in exceptional circumstances so don’t delay in applying if your circumstances change.

Council Tax support will still be provided by Newark and Sherwood District Council.