Planning process and services

Whether your application is for a conservatory, a new house or a factory, the way we deal with your application will follow the same format.

There are different types of applications which can be submitted including for full planning permission, outline planning permission, a change of use of land or buildings. Further information is available on the Planning Portal.

What we do with your application is set down in legislation and all authorities should deal with applications in a similar way.


If you’re unsure what type of planning application you need, the advice and self-assessment forms on our do I need planning permission page may help. If you’re still unsure then our pre-application advice service can help.

Validation and registration

When we receive any application we check that it has all the information we need to make it valid. This is set out in the Council’s validation checklist. We will write to you to ask for more information if you have not provided it with your application. We will also check that the right fee has been submitted.

Pay for a planning application 

Once we have all the right information, we’ll register your application and start dealing with it.

Publicity and consultation

We consult various bodies to obtain their expert view on your application. These bodies might include the Highway AuthorityNatural England or The Environment Agency.

Depending on the type and location of the development we’ll then do some or all of these:

  • notify any properties adjoining the site, letting them know that an application has been submitted,
  • put up a site notice
  • advertise the application in the local press

We normally give everyone 21 days to make their comments.

Site visits

We visit every application site in order to assess the proposal in situ. This will normally be within the first four weeks. The case officer will look at the plans, make notes and take photographs of the site for the case file as required.


The application will be assessed by the case officer who will take into account current planning policy, consultation responses and comments from local residents.


Sometimes we’ll ask for changes to be made to the application if we do not consider that the proposal is acceptable in terms of current planning policy. If the changes are significant we may re-notify (although we are not required to do so) and ask for further comments from consultees and local residents.


Once a decision has been made we will send out a decision notice to the applicant or their agent. Further information is available on our planning decisions page.

If your application is refused and you do not believe the decision was correct, or you wish to appeal against a condition imposed on a permission, then you do have the right to appeal.

Appeals are handled by the Planning Inspectorate.  For more information see our Appeals page.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

You may need to pay CIL if planning permission is granted for your proposal. For more information, including the Council's CIL Guide, visit our Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) page.

Amendments to an approved application

Sometimes, you may want to make changes to a proposal which already has planning permission. This may be some time after the original planning permission was granted, given that permissions last at least three years from the date of the original decision.

Minor amendments / non-material amendments

Minor changes to approved plans can be dealt with under an amended plan procedure.

You should complete an application for an amendment and relevant notices need to be served on land owners. Please ensure you download the guidance notes as these explain in full what information is required when submitting this application.

The fee payable is £34 if the application is a householder application. In all other cases the fee payable is £234.

In most cases, we’ll accept minor amendments including:

  • a reduction in the volume or size of the building or extension
  • a reduction in the height of the building or extension
  • amendments to windows, doors or openings that will not have any impact on neighbouring properties

Some amendments will take a development beyond the scope of the permission and you’ll need to submit a new planning application. Examples include:

  • a significant increase in the volume of the building or extension
  • a significant increase in the height of the building or extension
  • changes which would conflict with a condition on the original approval
  • additional and/or repositioned windows, doors or openings that will have an impact on neighbouring properties
  • changes altering the description of development from the original application
  • amendments warranting re-consultation of neighbours, council departments or statutory bodies