You’ll need a zoo licence if you’ll be displaying wild animals to the public for at least 7 days a year, in any place that’s not a circus or pet shop.
The highest priority must be the welfare and health of all the animals.
Apply for a zoo licence online.
To receive a licence you must:
- educate people about biodiversity
- have suitable spaces for the types of animals you keep
- have a high standard of animal care
- do as much as possible to stop animals escaping
- stop pests and vermin getting into the zoo
You must also do at least one of the following:
- captive animal breeding
- conservation research or training
- sharing conservation information
- helping repopulate or reintroduce species into the wild
An EU directive has introduced a set of principles and this is backed up with a standard of modern zoo practice.