Tenant Frequently Asked Questions

My physical condition has changed so my house isn’t suitable any more. What can I do?

If your needs are changing, we can make some adaptations to our properties to support you to live independently in your home. If this isn't suitable or you need to move from your current home, you can apply to access a range of properties with additional facilities and services.

Contact us for an application pack to apply to move home, or with any questions.

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

To report anti-social behaviour from someone that lives in a Council property, or that is affecting you as a Council tenant, you can contact us by emailing housing@newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk or calling 01636 650 000.

For more information on anti-social behaviour, our community safety partnership hoe we can assist, please go to our page about anti-social behaviour.

I want to make a change to my property. Do I have to tell you?

If you want to make any change such as putting up a shed, a porch, a satellite dish or make changes such as replacing your kitchen or bathroom you need to get permission from us first. More information on the types of requests that require permission can be found on the Tenant Information page.

Am I allowed pets?

Please read section 9 of your tenancy agreement titled Animals in your property as the answer depends on your property and circumstances. Our standard tenancy agreement is available to view online.

How do I make a complaint?

To make a complaint, please visit our Customer feedback webpage. 

I have a problem with my drain. Who do i contact?

If you are experiencing drainage problems at your Council home please contact us for assistance.

Right to Buy

Can I buy my Council property?

Most secure tenants have the right to buy their Council property when they have spent at least three years as a public sector tenant. More information can be found on the Government Right to Buy website.

How do I apply to buy my home?

If you are a Newark and Sherwood District Council tenant then you can request a pack by sending an email request to housing@newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk. If you are a tenant elsewhere you will need to contact your land lord. You will be sent a pack containing a RTB1 application form, you must complete this in full and return. You will then receive a response notice within 4 weeks (Or within 8 weeks if you have been a tenant with your current landlord for less than 3 years).

We have provided information to common questions posed by tenants. If your question is not answered here please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for further help.