Street naming and numbering

If you are amending your address or requesting a change to an approved street naming scheme, a fee will apply.

It is important to “register” your property through the street naming and numbering process or it will not appear on our address database.

We provide updated address information to a number of important organisations, including Royal Mail, the emergency services, and utility companies.  Furthermore, in our experience you may encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, goods and services (for example, applying for a credit card or obtaining goods by mail order) when address information is not maintained.

The purpose of the service is to ensure that every property in Newark and Sherwood has a unique, clear and consistent address.

Please refer to our Street naming and numbering charges 2018 and 2019 (PDF File, 204kb) document for further details.

Who should apply?

You need to contact us if:

  • You want to add a name or rename your existing property
  • You are undertaking conversion of residential, commercial or industrial premises, which will result in the creation of new properties or premises or renaming of old properties
  • You are planning to build a single property or small development
  • You are a developer planning a new housing or commercial development

It is important to note that if a development results in the creation of new properties, utility companies will not install services without an official postal address, including postcode.  Further guidance is provided in our Street naming and numbering guidance (PDF File, 269kb) document.

How to apply

If you are wishing to rename or add a name to your existing property, please use our online form below:

(A fee will apply, please refer to our Street naming and numbering charges 2018 and 2019 (PDF File, 204kb) document for further details).

For all other enquiries, including new developments, please email us on

Naming of new developments

For new street naming we encourage developers, in liaison with local parish / town councils to submit names for consideration.  If an agreement cannot be made the developer’s suggestions with be used.

We will contact the developer once we receive notification that building work has commenced on site.  It is particularly necessary at this early stage for large developments where sales promotion literature often includes names that may not have been approved and may be unacceptable.  It should be made clear in any marketing literature distributed to prospective purchasers that marketing names for developments are subject to approval and therefore liable to change. 

Where large-scale developments have taken place it has been the practice to adopt a particular theme when deciding on the names to be used and there are several examples throughout the district.  We also encourage the use of names that reflect the historical use of sites (for example, old airfields, orchards etc) and wherever possible will provide a number of suggestions to be considered at an early stage.

Renaming or numbering of an existing street

There are occasions where existing street naming and numbering is found to be unsatisfactory.

All such cases will be thoroughly investigated before deciding on a course of action. If it is decided that renaming / numbering is necessary, we will act in an advisory role only. 

Can I add or change a name to my property?

Adding or changing a name to your address is usually not a problem. Please use our online form. This will allow our records to be maintained (Council Tax and Electoral Register) and for Royal Mail to acknowledge the change.  Royal Mail will only amend their records for changes to an address if notified by us.

When considering any new name we advise not to choose a name that is offensive, aesthetically unsuitable or the same or similar to one that is currently used within close proximity of the property. Duplication can cause issues regarding postal deliveries and callers.  You must provide two suggestions for consideration. If the suggestions are not acceptable we will decline the proposal and ask for further suggestions.

If your address includes a number, the number must be retained as this can cause complications for deliveries as well as for the emergency services.

Can I replace my property number to a name?

This is not allowed. The only time a house is given a name as opposed to a number is where there is no logical way of numbering them, or if properties are built on a stretch of land that precedes No. 1 of any street. You may give your house a name, but the number of the house must be retained in the address. 

Confirmation of change

We recommend, the letter you receive from us confirming the change to your address is retained with the deeds to your property for future reference.


We are not responsible for assigning postcodes to addresses.  Any queries about postcodes are dealt with by The Royal Mail who can be contacted via their website at

Street name plates

If there is a problem with a street name plate, for example, it has become vandalised or unsafe, please contact our corporate property team on 01636 655879, or email

Who will be notified of a name change?

Whether you are naming a new development or amending your address, we will notify a number of organisations and services.  Please refer to our Street Naming and Numbering Guidance document for further information. 

It is the responsibility of the rate payer / owner / occupier to notify any other organisations that you may do business with, this may include magazine subscriptions, broadband supplier etc.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

01636 650000


Follow us on TwitterLike us on FacebookFollow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

Other websites

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet