Storm Babet Information

Apply now, grants available to those businesses and households affected by flooding

UK Government Community Recovery Grants funding is available to homes that have been flooded.

If, as a result of Storm Babet, your household had flood water enter habitable areas of your property or was uninhabitable for 48 hours or more you may be eligible for:

  1. The Community Recovery Grant of up to £500 per household
  2. The Council Tax discount scheme which is a 100% discount on your Council Tax for at least 3 months.

Apply for the £500 Community Recovery Grant and Council Tax discount scheme here.

Businesses that have been affected by flooding can apply for business rates relief and the Government's Business Recovery Grant through our website here.

Flooding is one of the most traumatic disasters facing householders, with damage to property and threat to life being very real.  To help us, Nottinghamshire County Council and Central Government understand the extent of recent flooding, if your property was impacted by Storm Babet, please complete our online questionnaire.

Guidance for those affected by flooding

Check with your insurance company.

If you live in rented accommodation, you should contact your landlord. You may have two insurance providers if you have separate home and contents cover.

Follow your insurance company’s advice as they may need to visit your property to assess any claims.

You should also let us know at the District Council to help us to direct any support as it becomes available and so we can check up how you’re doing.

Check if you can return home.

You may need to have your property checked by utilities companies before you can turn gas, electricity or water back on.

Be aware that floodwater can contain harmful substances like sewage, chemicals and animal waste which could make you unwell. If you come into contact with flood water, wash your hands thoroughly.

Starting the clean up.

If you have insurance, please check with them before undertaking any work yourself. Document the damage to your home and if possible take photographs to show any damage and record the flood water height.

Follow the advice you are given by your insurance company. Do not dispose of any items until you are sure that your insurance company is happy for you to do so.

Floodwater can leave hidden dangers, such as dislodging items or leaving behind harmful substances. Please take extra care and follow strict hygiene rules at all times.

Disposing of damaged items.

Your insurance company may help with the disposal of large items or provide you with a skip.

However, if you need help disposing of belongings damaged by flooding including large items, call us on 01636 650 000 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm to arrange collection. Please note upholstery and electrical items are collected separately.

Financial assistance

Financial assistance is available to apply for.

You can apply for the Community Recovery Grant of up to £500 per household and  the Council Tax discount scheme which is a 100% discount on your Council Tax for at least 3 months here.  Alternatively please contact us via telephone or our online chat feature if you have any questions or need any help completing the form.

If you’re facing any financial hardship and need advice you can contact your local Citizens’ Advice, there are drop in sessions in locations around Newark and Sherwood, to find your nearest location visit the citizens advice website,

Emotional support

If you have been affected by the floods and need help or support there may be groups in your area who can help. You can download a list of local support organisations from the ‘Resident health and wellbeing’ section of our website.

Don’t overdo it when cleaning up and remember it’s quite normal to feel tired and anxious or to have difficulty sleeping in times like these.

If you or a family member are concerned about mental health or any other health issues make an appointment with your GP.

If you are finding it difficult to cope and want to talk with someone the Samaritans are available 24 hours a day: 08457 90 90 90.

Useful websites

Newark and Sherwood District Council-

Nottinghamshire County Council-

Government guidance on cleaning your home safely following a flood- and Flooding and health: advice for the public - GOV.UK (

Citizens Advice, Sherwood and Newark-

The National Flood Forum- How We Help – National Flood Forum

Follow us on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter) for the latest updates.

Version 2: 06 November 2023