Your Council Tax 2021

Less than 9p in every £1 you pay in Council Tax comes to us at the District Council. The rest of the money you pay funds the work of Nottinghamshire County Council as well as the local police and fire and rescue services.

The amount of Council Tax for each household depends on the valuation band a property has been placed in by the Government’s Valuation Office Agency. Find out more about Council Tax bands.

Council Tax payment is the responsibility of owner-occupiers or, if rented, council tenants, private tenants and tenants of housing associations. Pay your Council Tax bill.

Council Tax is also due on unoccupied furnished and unfurnished houses in certain circumstances. Find out more about reductions and exemptions.

The figures on this page are correct for the 2021/2022 tax year.

Where does your Council Tax money go?

Your Council Tax forms part of the funding for the services provided by:

  • district and county councils
  • the police
  • fire and rescue services

These services also receive government grants, and in some cases will raise money by charging for services.

How much does Council Tax cost?

You can see the current cost of Council Tax for a Band D property using the map below. You can search for your parish or town and see how much of what you pay funds services here at Newark and Sherwood District Council.

Find out more about Council Tax bands.

Find out more about your Parish or Town council.

Who spends your money?

More than four out of every ten Council Tax payers in Newark and Sherwood live in Band A properties. Based on a Band A property, the following list and table show how much of your Council Tax goes to each authority.

  • Nottinghamshire County Council - £75.64 per £100
  • Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner - £11.69 per £100
  • Newark and Sherwood District Council - £8.70 per £100
  • Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service  - £3.97 per £100
Who spends your money?2020 / 20212021 / 2022% Change
NSDC £119.05 £121.35 1.93
Nottinghamshire County Council £1,023.30 £1,053.90 2.99*

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner

£152.88 £162.84 6.51
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service £54.24 £55.30 1.95
TOTAL £1,349.47 £1,393.39 3.25

Parish precepts levied by your local town or parish council are not included here. Read more information about parish precepts. (PDF File, 429kb)

*Adult and social care precept

The government has made an offer to adult social care authorities allowing them to charge an additional “precept” on Council Tax for financial years from the financial year beginning in 2016 without holding a referendum. This is to assist the authority (in our case Nottinghamshire County Council) in meeting expenditure on adult social care.

Subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of charging this precept at an appropriate level in each financial year up to and including the financial year 2021/22.

The County Council has approved the implementation of a 2% Social Care Precept for 2021/22 to part fund increasing costs associated with adult social care.

How do Newark and Sherwood District Council spend your money?

You can find out more about how Newark and Sherwood District council spends your money on the council strategies and policies and council budgets page.

To see what your Council Tax money is spent on in relation to the climate emergency visit our climate emergency page.

More information

If you have a query regarding the detail provided, any aspect of your bill or would like to receive a hard copy of the details provided here, contact us on 01636 650000.

You can also contact the different services funded by your council tax using the details below.

Nottinghamshire County Council

Tel 0300 500 80 80
Visit their website
View council tax - where your money goes

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner

Tel 0115 967 0999
Visit their website
View their council tax 2021-2022 leaflet

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service

Tel 0115 967 0880
Visit their website
View their council tax information