Customer Feedback

We welcome your feedback if we are doing something well please tell us about it and likewise if we are not.

It is important to us to have your feedback so we can give you the quality service you deserve.

You can submit a comment online or download a form and post it in.

Alternatively please contact us by letter, telephone or e-mail.

We deal with all our customer feedback, complaints and compliments under our 'customer feedback procedure'.

Have your say

How we monitor your feedback

We regularly monitor all feedback we receive through the customer feedback scheme. We learn about what is important to you, how well you think we are doing, and what sorts of things you have felt it necessary to complain about and how we have dealt with this.

How do I complain?

In the unlikely event that you feel that the district council has not dealt with your comments satisfactorily, please contact us and a full review by a senior manager will be arranged. If you then remain unsatisfied, the Local Government Ombudsman may be able to help you. You can contact the Ombudsman directly (below) or you can ask your local councillor to do this for you.

There are two stages to the handling of a complaint:

Stage 1

  • The customer services team will send an acknowledgement of receipt of your complaint within 3 working days
  • A Business Manager will conduct a thorough investigation of your complaint and provide a response directly to you within 10 working days
  • Where it is not possible to respond within these times, we will contact you and advise you of an estimated date of response

Stage 2

  • If you are not happy with your Stage 1 response, you can move onto Stage 2 of the Complaints Procedure
  • Your complaint will be referred to the Director of the business unit in which the complaint was originally dealt with
  • They will be given all the complaint information and will conduct a thorough review of the investigation and the response provided to you at Stage 1
  • The Director will write to you with the outcome of their investigation within 10 working days
  • Where it is not possible to respond within this time, we will contact you and advise you of an estimated date of response

Planning complaint

We handle complaints regarding planning if it regarding the service you have received. If you wish to complain about a building work or a planning decision please visit our planning webpages.

The Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent person who investigates allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints about most council matters including housing, planning, education, social services and council tax. The Ombudsman who deals with this council is at:

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Tel: 0300 061 0614

The Local Government Ombudsman has a leaflet called Complained to the Council? Still not Satisfied? You can get a copy by telephoning or writing to the address above, or you can download it from the Ombudsman’s website at

Making a complaint against a councillor

Visit the The Code of Conduct webpage for further details.

Contact us

The Chief Executive 
Newark and Sherwood District Council
Kelham Hall
NG23 5QX

Tel 01636 650000
Fax 01636 655229

Online Forms


  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Thurs 8.30am to 5.15pm
    Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX

Access Extranet