Sconce and Devon Park
- Large area of public open grass and woodlands, including Devon Pastures Local Nature Reserve
- Queen’s Sconce, a large Civil War earthwork and new bridge
- Children’s play area
- Civil War Trail.
- Rumbles Cafe
- Football centre with 2 adult and 4 mini-soccer pitches and a football changing pavilion
- Network of pathways suitable for wheelchairs
- Parking and public toilets
- Park ranger service
- A fitness trail around a 600-metre circuit
- Wildlife Pond, a wildlife friendly visitor attraction
parkrun every Saturday at 9am
parkrun is a free event open to all ages and abilities. You can run the 5k course or simply walk it.
For more information and to register go to www.parkrun.org.uk/newark
Interested in learning new skills, making friends and helping maintain the park? Please contact park ranger George Hemstock.
Volunteering sessions are held each week.
Queen’s Sconce - A 17th century Civil War earthwork fortification
The Scheduled Ancient Monument is one of the country's finest remaining earthworks from the English Civil War (1642-51). It is distinctively star-shaped when viewed from the air and is one of nine siege works remaining in a recognisable state in and around Newark. It’s considered an internationally important heritage feature, and is surrounded by open space and playing fields.
Civil War Trail
Two of the eight information boards for the Civil War Trail are located in the park. The trail, which is accessed via an app, uses augmented reality technology, where pointing a smart device to a still picture triggers a video scene from the 17th century. The trail films – which can be witnessed at eight locations around Newark, including the National Civil War Centre - recall episodes from Newark's pivotal role in the 17th century British Civil Wars. To download the app go to the App Store or Android Google play.
Sconce and Devon Park events 2018
- Parkrun 9am every Saturday
- Midlands Kite Fliers, Sunday 18 March, 11am - 4pm
- Flower Basket Workshop - Saturday 31 March, 10am, - 12pm
- Childrens Easter Trail, Easter Sunday 2 - 4pm
- Dog Treat Hunt, Easter Sunday, 10am - 2pm
- Pikes and Plunder Civil War, 6 & 7 May, 11am - 4pm
- Midlands Kite Fliers, Sunday 10 June, 11am - 4pm
- Sealed Knot/Civil War 375th anniversary, 23 &24 June, 11am - 4pm
- Sconce Fest, Sunday 1 July, 12 - 4pm
- East Midlands Classic Vehicle Club Show, Sunday 5 August, 10 - 4pm
- Bards Tales (booking necessary), 18 & 19 August
Art in the Park
Join Newark and Sherwood Play Support in our parks over Easter for some creative fun.
Dates and activities being announced soon.
Civil War Sculptures
Wooden Civil War sculptures including soldiers and a horse, stand in a part of the park set out as a natural play area in 2009. The original facilities were made using trunks from trees that had been felled in the park. The district council and Friends of Sconce and Devon Park decided to submit a bid to Tesco's ‘Bags of Help’ scheme. The grant has been used to clear away the remains of the old area and to pay for the design, construction and installation of the figures.
The cafe is run by Rumbles Catering Project, which provides education and training for people with learning difficulties.
Voluntary parking charge
The park has a voluntary pay and display scheme. If you drive to the park you can, if you wish, make a parking donation of £1 for a day, or buy a season ticket for £20.
No-one is under any obligation to make a donation but any donations will be reinvested in the park. Everyone is still welcome to use the park, regardless of whether they make a donation or not and you won't be charged or fined if you don't buy a ticket.
Sconce and Devon Park has been successful in gaining a Green Flag award in recognition of its range of facilities, maintenance standards and opportunities for community involvement.
Friends of Sconce and Devon Park
The Friends of Sconce and Devon Park is a group of volunteers who assist the council with the management and maintenance of the park. The Friends meet every other month and new members are always welcome.