Sconce and Devon Park
- Large area of public open grass and woodlands, including Devon Pastures Local Nature Reserve
- Queen’s Sconce, a large Civil War earthwork and new bridge
- Children’s play area
- Civil War Trail.
- Rumbles Cafe
- Football centre with 2 adult and 4 mini-soccer pitches and a football changing pavilion
- Network of pathways suitable for wheelchairs
- Parking and public toilets
- Park ranger service
- A fitness trail around a 600-metre circuit
- Wildlife Pond, a wildlife friendly visitor attraction
parkrun every Saturday at 9am
parkrun is a free event open to all ages and abilities. You can run the 5k course or simply walk it.
For more information and to register go to www.parkrun.org.uk/newark
Interested in learning new skills, making friends and helping maintain the park? Please contact park ranger George Hemstock.
Volunteering sessions are held each week.
Queen’s Sconce - A 17th century Civil War earthwork fortification
The Scheduled Ancient Monument is one of the country's finest remaining earthworks from the English Civil War (1642-51). It is distinctively star-shaped when viewed from the air and is one of nine siege works remaining in a recognisable state in and around Newark. It’s considered an internationally important heritage feature, and is surrounded by open space and playing fields.
Civil War Trail
Two of the eight information boards for the Civil War Trail are located in the park. The trail, which is accessed via an app, uses augmented reality technology, where pointing a smart device to a still picture triggers a video scene from the 17th century. The trail films – which can be witnessed at eight locations around Newark, including the National Civil War Centre - recall episodes from Newark's pivotal role in the 17th century British Civil Wars. To download the app go to the App Store or Android Google play.
The cafe is run by Rumbles Catering Project, which provides education and training for people with learning difficulties.
Sconce and Devon Park has been successful in gaining a Green Flag award in recognition of its range of facilities, maintenance standards and opportunities for community involvement.
Friends of Sconce and Devon Park
The Friends of Sconce and Devon Park is a group of volunteers who assist the council with the management and maintenance of the park. The Friends meet every other month and new members are always welcome.
Sconce and Devon Park events 2017
- Parkrun 9am every Saturday
- Drumming Workshop - 20 May, 1 to 2pm. A free drumming session which will build a performance at the Annual Play Day in August 2017
- Kite Flying - 11 June. Midlands Kite Flyers fly in. Join in the fun and fly a kite of your own provided by the club.
- Sconce Fest - 2 July. Free family event with inflatables, games, music, stalls, food, drumming workshop and fun fair
- Sealed Knot Muster Re Enactment - 22 and 23 July. Civil ware re-enactment battle with the sealed knot. A major muster over the weekend with live cannon fire and muskets
- Annual Play Day - August 9, 1 to 3pm. Join Newark and Sherwood Play support group for free children's activities, games, drumming and much more
- Classic Car Show - 8 August. East Midlands Classic Vehicle Club. See over 100 cars on display new and old.
- Newark Community First Aid Fun Day - 12 August. Free family event with inflatables, games, music, stalls, food and workshops
- Newark Half Marathon - 13 August. The Half Marathon finishes at Devon Park. Registration and fee applies.
- OVO Energy Tour of Britain - Wednesday 6 September Stage Four Mansfield to Newark finishing at Sconce and Devon Park