How and why we provide this service
The internal audit service to the council is currently provided under contract by Assurance Lincolnshire
The service provides all appropriate internal audit functions in accordance with the CIPFA Code of Practice for Internal Audit in Local Government in the United Kingdom 2006.
It is a statutory requirement to have an adequate Internal Audit function in accordance with the Local Government Act 1972 (s.151) and the The Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011. The Constitution of the Council also sets out the responsibilities of the service within the Financial Regulations.
The core service provided is to appraise and report upon the adequacy of systems employed by management to secure:
- Compliance with external and internal regulations
- Achievement of goals and objectives
- Reliability and integrity of management information
- Efficient and effective use of resources
- Security of assets
The team aims to review:-
- The effectiveness of internal controls within the organisation
- The soundness, adequacy and application of the system controls established by management
- That the organisation's assets and interests are accounted for and safeguarded from loss
- The measures taken by management to protect the organisation from waste, extravagance or poor value for money.
The service also provides an advisory service to managers and undertakes special investigations and ad-hoc assignments if requested.
Other Audit Provisions
The Authority is also subject to various inspections and audit from external bodies, including KPMG who are currently the external auditors for the council.
Audit and Accounts Committee
We have an audit and accounts committee which is currently made up of six elected Members.
The purpose of the audit and accounts committee is to oversee the arrangements for the maintenance of the council’s internal control framework and to review and approve the council’s published accounts. This includes a review of the work of the council’s internal and external auditors, taking such decisions as are necessary to ensure that their recommendations are acted upon appropriately.
Internal audit submit reports to the audit and accounts committee covering the audit plan, audit reports issued and an end of year report giving a statement as to the overall control environment. Other reports may be issued on an ad-hoc basis throughout the year. Reports are available separately within the Committee area of the website.
Contact Details for the Internal Audit Service
Head of Internal Audit
c/o Kelham Hall
Telephone 01636 655317 and ask for Internal Audit