Gambling licences

‌The Gambling Act 2005 gives the council, as licensing authority for Newark and Sherwood, a number of important regulatory functions in relation to gambling.

The main functions are to:

  • Licence premises for gambling activities
  • Issue provisional statements for premises
  • Consider notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling
  • Grant permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners’ welfare institutes
  • Regulate gaming and gaming machines in alcohol-licensed premises
  • Grant permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines
  • Grant permits for prize gaming
  • Consider occasional use notices for betting at tracks
  • Register small society lotteries

Under the Gambling Act 2005, the council must have a Gambling Policy 2016-2019 (PDF File, 847kb) relating to the act. This was adopted in January 2013 and is the third edition since the Gambling Act came into force. The statement must be reviewed at least every three years.

Registers for licensed premises are kept in accordance with regulations.

Gambling register

A gambling register is also available at the council offices for public inspection.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Kelham Hall
NG23 5QX


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌  Follow us on PinterestFollow us on Instagram


On our website

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Thurs 8.30am to 5.15pm
    Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX

Access Extranet