Southwell Tourist Information Centre
Visit the friendly and helpful staff at Southwell TIC for all the local information you need. We are located in the centre of the town near to the Minster Shop on Church Street.
Key local attractions
- Southwell Minster - the cathedral of Nottinghamshire
- The Workhouse -step back in time at The Workhouse in Southwell where you can follow in the footsteps of paupers and find out what life was like in the 19th century
- Southwell Minster - a magnificent 12th century minster with twin 'pepper pot' spires
- The Archbishop's Palace - visit the palace and gardens
- Southwell Racecourse - one of the country's few all-weather racecourse
- The Museum of Timekeeping - see the British Horological Institute's fascinating clock and watch collection.
- Southwell Market - vibrant Saturday market for veg, cakes, cheese, plants, clothes, fresh fish and much more
Where to stay
For local hotels, B&B's, pubs and self-catering accommodation
Planning your visit in Newark and Sherwood!
For attractions, events, accommodation, shopping and food and drink.
Summer in Southwell
Southwell has a busy fun-packed events programme including events at the Workhouse, the Archbishop's Palace, in town and at the popular summer musical festivals. Hightlights include Southwell Fun day (with Vikings!) on the Burgage Green, the Gate to Southwell dance procession through the town, the Lions Duck race, Field Dog Antiques Fair at the racecourse and new outdoor theatre.
Eat, Drink, Shop, Stay and Relax in Southwell.
Faces of Change: Votes for Women
The Workhouse in Southwell has launched a new and fascinating exhibition called Faces of Change: Votes for women.
This is an exciting collaboration with the National Portrait Gallery and charts the national campaign for women’s suffrage in a very contemporary and imaginative way.
It also tells the story of local women connected to the Workhouse like Laura Ridding and includes an incredible array of rarely seen photographs and paintings.
The exhibition honours the 100 years milestone since women were granted the right to vote and is open in Southwell until 22 July.
OVO Energy Tour of Britain 2018
This year’s OVO Energy Tour of Britain promises to be a thrilling, innovative and unpredictable race as it passes through iconic cities, towns and landmarks.
Taking place from 2 to 9 September Nottinghamshire has Stage Seven on Saturday 8 September.
We are thrilled to have the race passing through many towns and villages within the district again this year. Get involved and support the riders in Newark and Sherwood.
SAVE THE DATE Saturday 8 September for Britain's biggest and most prestigious professional cycling race.
The Bramley Apple Festival in Southwell
Save the date! Saturday 20 October 10am to 4pm
For the annual food and drink festival in the Minster, painting competitions and decorated shop windows, Morris dancing and live music, apple pies of course from Southwell WI and apple-themed children's activities at the Workhouse and Archbishop's Palace.