Data protection and privacy 

We are committed to protecting your personal data and privacy.

The personal information you provide to us will only be used to process the application you have made to us.

Types of planning application

There are a number of different types of applications which can be submitted including full planning permission, outline planning permission, a change of use of land or buildings, confirmation of compliance with conditions, applications for a non-material amendment.

The appropriate application forms and fees must be provided with each application. You can also pay online using our payment service. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Please remember that we advise if you need any of these consents through our Do I need Planning Permission? information.

Advert control

Most outdoor advertising requires consent with only a few limited exceptions. The law regarding the placement of adverts is complex. However, we can grant consent for a period of five years and deemed consent for certain categories. Most illuminated adverts need consent.

We can challenge any advertisement put up with deemed consent, requiring it to be removed if it is considered to have a negative effect on the area or public safety. The owner has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State.

Newark and Sherwood District Council is not responsible for the content of adverts. If you would like to comment or complain about the content of an advert visit the Advertising Standards Agency website or contact them by e-mailling

Certificates of lawful use or development

An application can be made to establish whether an existing or proposed use or development is lawful. Either because it is not classified as development requiring planning permission or by virtue of the length of time which has passed, the development or use may now be immune from enforcement action. Often householders make applications for proposed lawful development certificates for small extensions which do not need permission as they are classed as permitted development under the General Permitted Development Order 1995 (as amended).

Conservation area consent

Conservation areas are those which have been designated by the Council as 'areas of special architectural or historic interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'.  If you live in a conservation area, you will need planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area to do the following:

• Demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions - you can get further information from us.
• To demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing over 1 metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or over 2 metres high elsewhere.

You will also need permission to undertake works to trees.

Even if your proposals do not include the work mentioned above ou are advised to contact us to determine whether planning permission is required

Check to see if your proposed work is in a conservation area.

Detail applications (discharge of planning conditions)

If a permission is granted subject to conditions then it will be necessary to submit details to the council for approval in order to discharge the condition and pay an appropriate fee. Failure to comply with a condition could result in the council taking steps to secure compliance and may in certain circumstances affect the legality of any works carried out.  This is especially important when a condition has been imposed requiring submission and approval of details prior to commencement of works on site, since failure to comply with such a condition can lead to the permission being void. In some cases we will consider the suitability of taking enforcement action.

Extensions to the Time Limit for Implementing Planning Permissions

Most planning permissions are granted subject to a condition that the development commences before the expiry of three years from the date of permission. This application allows an applicant to replace this with a new period to keep the grant of planning permission alive under a new permission. This application only applies to permissions that are: still valid on 1 October 2009 or are still valid when the extension of time application is made.

Permissions that have already lapsed, or that are granted after 1 October 2009, cannot be renewed under this procedure. The revised procedure does not apply to permissions where: the development has already commenced, the permission or consent has already expired at the time of application, the permission/consent was granted after 1 October 2009. In those cases, a new application would have to be made.

All such applications will need to be made on the standard planning application form available to download from the Planning Portal. The applicant will not need to automatically provide new plans or supporting information, although the Council may ask for necessary information for consultation and determination purposes if the circumstances of the application have changed. 

Full planning application

These include all details of the proposed development including site and building plans and types of building materials to be used. Development must normally start within three years of the date of the permission, otherwise permission will lapse.

Listed building consent

These apply to any building which has been deemed as a Grade I, II* or II listed building by English Heritage. Consent needs to be obtained for all works to a listed building, both external and internal, that would affect a building's special interest. Consent is not normally required for repairs, but where repairs involve alterations which would affect the character of the listed building, consent is required.

Owners of listed buildings should be encouraged to seek expert advice on whether proposed works require listed building consent, and on the best way to carry out any such works to their property.

Minor material amendment

A minor material amendment is one whose scale and nature results in a development which is not substantially different from the one which has been approved.

Minor Material Amendments will exclude development within 'Non-Material' scope (see 'Non-material amendment following a grant of Planning Permission' below).

Minor material amendments shall be subject to an assessment of their significance in context. The ultimate discretion of what fulfils the above definition will be decided by the council's planning team.

Non-material amendment following a grant of Planning Permission

After the grant of planning permission anyone with an interest in the site can apply for a non-material change to that permission (a system previously referred to as a minor amendment).

All applications will need to be made on the new standard planning applications form available to download from the Planning Portal. The applicant will need to notify any other person who is an owner of the land to which the application relates when they make their application and the Council will determine their application within 28 days of receipt.

Outline planning applications

These contain less detail then the full planning applications and can reserve a number of details such as external appearance, layout, access and generally establish the principle of a specific development. Conditions are usually attached to set out guidelines for the final development of the site. Outline planning applications cannot be made for a change of use.

Reserved matters

We will require further details to be submitted for approval following the granting of outline planning permission. Reserved matters application must normally be submitted within three years of the date of the outline permission, otherwise it will lapse. In some cases, further details will be reserved by conditions imposed when granting full planning permission.

Variation or removal of condition (known as a Section 73 Application)

An application can be made to vary the terms of a condition attached to a planning consent or to apply to remove it. We will consider why the condition was originally attached and whether there have been any changes in circumstances which may allow that condition to be removed or varied to an alternative wording or restriction based on the information submitted.

Contact us


Tel 01636 650000

Fax 01636 655899

Development Business Unit
Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFollow us on Pinterest‌‌Follow us on Instagram


Other websites

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet