Noise Complaints

In the warmer summer weather there is an increase in the amount of outside living.

The Environmental Health team receive an increasing number of noise complaints during episodes of hot weather, but this year we are receiving a huge number of complaints many of which we won’t be able to help with. We can only deal with complaints that concern a regular and persistent noise problem from a known address.

We don’t investigate anonymous complaints, and we always ask for a diary sheet before we contact your noisy neighbour, so usually we would need to know the problem was going on for a fortnight or so before we would start our enquiries. As an alternative try to find a resolution by talking to your neighbours first.

Noise Problems

Types of Noise

Under the law we are able to investigate problems from various noise sources that are considered a statutory nuisance, these include

For a noise to be a statutory nuisance it must be a noise which significantly affects a person’s health or personal comfort. The factors that determine whether noise is a Statutory Noise Nuisance are:

  • The time of day the noise occurs
  • How loud the noise is
  • How long the noise lasts
  • The reason for the noise
  • The character of the noise; i.e. bass beat or high pitched
  • How often the noise occurs
  • Your location

Taking action

Initially we recommend that you try to resolve the problem by speaking to the noise-maker yourself if at all possible. Consider approaching them to explain politely that you are being troubled by their noise. Often people are unaware that they are causing a problem and most will be happy to do what they can to reduce noise.

If this approach has little or no effect and you are still bothered by the noise you can contact us to report the noise.

Out of hours

Unfortunately we no longer operate an out of hours service for noise complaints. If you believe the noise to be causing a public nuisance that is affecting the neighbourhood you can contact the police on 101 for general advice and to report the issue.

How to report noise

To report a noise you can complete our online form or call us on 01636 650000.

Please be aware that the process of investigating a complaint alleging a statutory nuisance, through to resolving the complaint, may take from a few days to several weeks, and in cases where legal action has to be taken, sometimes up to six months.

We are generally unable to deal with anonymous reports and complaints.

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet