Disabled job applicants
Newark and Sherwood District Council has been awarded the ‘Two Tick’ disability symbol user status, which recognises our commitment to increasing the number of disabled people we employ and to good practice in employing disabled people.
The award aims to ensure people with disabilities feel confident their employer will be positive about their abilities.
In achieving Two Tick status the council has made the following five commitments:
- To interview all applicants with a disability who meet the essential criteria for a job vacancy and to consider them on their abilities.
- To make sure there is a system in place to discuss, at any time, but at least once a year, with disabled employees what can be done to make sure they can develop and use their abilities.
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment.
- To take action to make sure that all employees develop the right level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work.
- Each year, to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans
We will interview Care leavers (24 or under), Reservists/ex-forces/family of forces and Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria specified in the person specification for a job vacancy.
When completing your application form, please ensure you match your skills, experience and abilities with those detailed in the person specification. In order to assess your suitability for a guaranteed interview, you will need to declare that you have a disability, a care leaver or reservist/ex-forces/family of forces.
Calling for interview
If you are invited for interview, you will be asked to tell us if there are any adjustments you need.
Please tell us any difficulties or requirements you may have. We will make reasonable adjustments wherever possible. These might include ensuring the building where the interview will be held is accessible, arranging for assistance such as a mini loop system, allocating more time to complete interview testing.
If you are invited to attend an interview you will be informed in advance of the following information:
- The location.
- Date and time, and estimated duration of the selection process.
- The format of the selection process - whether there will be tests, group discussion or if you will be asked to give a presentation
You will be given details of who to ask for on your arrival for interview and who to contact, should you need any further information.
Guidance and information videos
Please click the links below to view some videos designed to provide you with support and guidance for completing an application form and to help you prepare for visiting Castle House. We hope these videos are informative and helpful. If you require any further support regarding application forms and interview preparation, please call Liberty on 01636 655227 or email Liberty.o’email@example.com or Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further support for disabled applicants may be available from the following:
- Job Centre Plus Disability Employment Advisors
Telephone: 07800 676 540
- JobCentre Plus Access to Work (ATW) Scheme
Telephone: 0115 989 5700 or 0115 9895863