Yorke Drive Focus
The Bridge Ward Neighbourhood Study, carried out in 2012, looked at the relationship between Yorke Drive estate and the rest of Bridge Ward, and explored how to regenerate this area.
A key output of the Study related to the ‘transformational project’ focussing on the growth and regeneration of the Yorke Drive estate in Newark; along with proposals for delivering new homes on the Lincoln Road playing fields and enhancing the local sport and play provision offer and creating a community hub. Unfortunately due to lack of funds at the time this was not taken forward.
In 2017, Newark and Sherwood District Council secured Government funding to look again at options for the regeneration of the Yorke Drive estate, to make it a safer and a better place to live. This includes considering possible options for the development of additional housing for rent and sale on part of the Lincoln Road playing fields, and the provision of improved sports and recreational facilities.
Throughout 2018 the Council, along with the consultants Campbell Tickell, have carried out an extensive consultation and master-planning exercise to look at all the options and give local residents and stakeholders the opportunity to feed in their views of the priorities for improving the area.
Everyone who lives, works or is involved in some way with the Yorke Drive estate has had the opportunity to get involved and this will continue throughout the proposed regeneration scheme.
Through the consultation exercises we have received positive resident feedback supporting the regeneration proposals - provided new homes are linked to estate improvement. We have also introduced a ‘Resident Offer’, which gives the opportunity for every resident who wishes to remain on Yorke Drive to do so, along with providing financial compensation and a dedicated officer support.
Firm proposals have now been drawn up to take the scheme forward.
The broad vision for the master planning has produced proposals which will transform the area by:
- Undertaking selective demolition and redevelopment of parts of the existing Yorke Drive estate
- Building up to 330 new mixed tenure homes for rent and sale
- Raising money for new rented homes and improvements to the whole estate
- Providing improved sports and leisure facilities for all
- Improving road access and the road network in the area
- Making the whole area a better and safer place to live
Following a meeting of the Council’s policy and finance committee on 29 November 2018, an outline planning application for the regeneration scheme has now been submitted and focuses on:
- A new frontage and new access to create a new “front door” to the estate on Lincoln Road;
- A new avenue through the estate, connecting to a refurbished street network and public realm throughout:
- A safe, multi-functional park that serves the whole of Yorke Drive:
- New housing in a mix of tenures to modern space standards:
The information on this website is aimed at informing interested parties of the proposals, and how you can get involved in influencing them. We have also set up social media accounts where you can be kept informed.
For more information please contact the Strategic Housing Business Unit on 01636 655462.
Follow us and join in the conversation