Our housing support service gives impartial, practical advice to help you make the right decisions to solve your housing issues.

The service has been partly funded by Nottinghamshire County Council’s Independent Living Fund and aims to deliver housing solutions to older people living in the Newark and Sherwood area.

Why do we need this service?

As we get older it may become harder to accomplish everyday activities such as getting around the house, looking after the garden and keeping on top of cleaning and cooking.

Living independently can become difficult following bereavement, a fall or illness, or maybe just because you are feeling isolated and lonely. You may struggle to heat your home and keep on top of the bills.

It is at times like these that you may question your ability to manage your home and you may need some help with making important decisions.

Who can use this service?

Older people in the Newark and Sherwood area with concerns about their current or future housing situation.

We can help you stay in your home by providing  advice on:

  • Home adaptations
  • Keeping your home warm
  • Support Services 
  • Environmental health and hoarding 
  • Loneliness 
  • Handy person services 
  • Tenants right 
  • Budgeting and benefits
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Staying safe

We can support your move to a new home by providing help with:

  • Deciding what type of accommodation will suit you best
  • Filling in forms
  • Arranging medical assessments
  • Accompanying you to view properties
  • Help with estate agents, solicitors etc
  • Benefit claims
  • Change of address for correspondence
  • Packing and removal
  • Making adaptations
  • Setting up utility services

How do I access this free service?

The help and support offered by your Housing Support worker is free. There may be charges for some of the additional services but your support worker will make sure available funding and voluntary services are used and costs are kept to a minimum. To access this service, fill in the Housing Support Form.

You can email us at housingoptions2@nsdc.info or call our Freephone number: 01636 650000

If you are a carer or service provider for an older person who you think may benefit from this service, you can contact us or complete one of our referral forms which your organisation may already be provided with.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

01636 650000


Follow us on TwitterLike us on Facebook Follow us on Pintrest‌ Follow us on Instagram

On our website

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet