Occasional Use Notice

The purpose of the Occasional Use Notice notification process is to allow betting to take place on a track for a period of eight days or less in a calendar year, where no premises licence has been issued under the Gambling Act 2005. Applicants should obtain the appropriate permission from the Gambling Commission prior to giving notice to the licensing authority.

It should be noted by applicants that this process is different to the Temporary Use Notice (TUN).

A 'track' does not necessarily have to be a horse racecourse or greyhound track. Other examples of tracks include:

  • a point to point horserace meeting
  • football, cricket or rugby grounds
  • athletics stadium
  • golf-course
  • venues hosting darts, bowls or snooker tournaments
  • premises staging boxing matches
  • a section of river hosting a fishing competition or
  • a motor racing event

The applicant must be the person that is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of a track. The Occasional Use Notice will need to be sent to the licensing authority and the Chief Officer of Police for the area in which the track is located.

The Occasional Use Notice must specify the day on which the betting will be taking place. The notice may be for consecutive days as long as the eight day limit is not exceeded.

Provided that the betting does not take place on more than eight days, there is no provision for objections to be submitted and the licensing authority will acknowledge your notice.

There is no fee for this type of application

Occasional Use Notice Application Form (PDF File, 380kb)

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌ Like us on Facebook Follow us on Pintrest‌ Follow us on Instagram


On our website

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet