Where can I find out about the latest flood warnings and what do they mean?

The UK's Flood Warning Service is provided by the Environment Agency. You can sign up for text alerts.

Where can I find out about the latest weather warnings?

The Met Office provides weather forecasts and warnings along with advice, travel information, maps and charts.

Where can I find out about road closures due to flooding

Along with Nottinghamshire Police we try to share road closure information from Nottinghamshire County Council.

Follow our social media accounts.

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook

 Find out about road closures and disruptions locally.

Can I drive through flood water?

Nottinghamshire Police and Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service urge people not to drive through floodwater.

You risk getting stuck and often road-side homes are flooded due to vehicles pushing water into people's properties.

The advice is to always follow flood warning signs and do not take risks by driving through floodwater.

Water may seem low enough to drive through but you can’t be sure what debris is in the water so drive carefully and try and find an alternate route where possible.

Abandoned cars due to the flood - who do I contact?

If causing an obstruction contact the Police on telephone number 101, however they may already be aware of the situation.

I am worried about flooding can I have some sandbags?

We will always try to supply emergency sandbags to vulnerable residents. Please call us on 01636 650000 and we will ask you some questions and assess the priority of your needs. We need to allocate our resources to people who are vulnerable and most in need. We will always try to help if we can.

How do I get rid of old sandbags

Unfortunately we cannot collect old sandbags but there are a number of ways to store or dispose of used sandbags and aqua-sacs.

Accommodation - I can't return home what can I do?

Try to stay with friends or family until the risk is over.

Contact your insurer, as they might be able to arrange accommodation. Contact us on 01636 650000 as we may be able to help with opening an emergency shelter.

Utilities - I have no water/gas/electricity what should I do?

Your utilities may have been switched off for safety reasons.

Do not switch on any utilities until you have checked with an expert that is safe to do so.

  • For water contact Severn Trent Water on 0800 783 4444
  • For gas contact Gas Emergency Services on 0800 111 999
  • For Electric contact 105

Pumps - where can I get water displacement pumps from?

You can hire these from local hire centres. For more serious flooding the Fire Service will deal with situation if life threatening.

Health - Are there any precautions I should take regarding the health of my family?

Health risks can be minimised by taking general hygiene precautions and by the use of protective clothing (waterproof boots and gloves) whilst cleaning up.

You should also always wash your hands with soap and clean water:

  • after you go to the toilet,
  • when you eat or prepare food,
  • after being in contact with flood water, sewage or items that have been contaminated by flood water, and
  • after participating in flood clean-up activities.

Don't allow children to play in floodwater areas and wash children's hands frequently (always before meals). Wash floodwater-contaminated toys with hot water and disinfectant before allowing them to be used again.

Keep any open cuts or sores clean and prevent them being exposed to flood water. Wear waterproof plasters.

Harmful bacteria may be present in sewage and animal slurry, and this can pass into flood water, although it is likely to be extremely diluted. If you or anyone in your family gets symptoms such as sickness, diarrhoea, or tummy cramps, or if you become ill after accidentally swallowing mud or contaminated water speak with your GP, call NHS 111 or visit the NHS 111 website www.nhs.uk for advice.

In inaccessible areas such as under floorboards it may smell but is not necessarily a health hazard. Get further advice from the environmental health department if the smell persists or if you are particularly concerned about it for other reasons.

As your property continues to dry out, vacuum any loose material and dust on a regular basis.

Very young children should avoid playing directly on timber floorboards or any damaged tiled floors if possible - be aware of the risk of injury from sharp edges on tiles or raised nails in the floorboards until these have been repaired.

Bulky items and carpets destroyed by floods - what should I do?

If you have any flood damaged domestic bulky items such as furniture or white goods, please check with your insurance company before disposing of them as it may affect your claim.

You can take domestic items to local household recycling sites. 

If you have no means of transporting items to a household waste site, please check with your insurance company to see if they can help, as costs of removal may be possible to be added to your claim.

Find out about our bulky waste collection service.

I have been flooded, is there any financial help available?

For Flooding in November 2019.

Financial support is available for residents and businesses affected by the recent flooding in Nottinghamshire.

If you have been affected by the recent flooding, you may be able to apply for a recovery grant to help with your immediate needs.

Business Rates - my business has been flooded and I cannot trade. Can I get any help

You may be able to get help with your business rates.

Contact our customer services team on 01636 650000 and ask for help with business rates.

Council Tax – my house has been flooded. Can I get any help with my Council Tax?

This will depend on the extent of the flooding and whether you have had to vacate your property.

Call our customer services team on 01636 650000 to find out more.

How can I prepare for flooding?

You can get advice on making a flood plan and advice on what you need to do and think about if flooding threatens your property.

What should I put in an emergency kit?

Emergency home kit

  • A list of emergency contact numbers. This should be a paper copy, in case your mobile phone loses power
  • A battery-operated torch and spare batteries, or a wind-up torch
  • Battery-operated radio and spare batteries, or a wind-up radio
  • Mobile phone
  • Any essential medication and a first aid kit
  • Bottled water and ready-to-eat food that won’t go off
  • Copies of important documents, such as insurance policies and birth certificates. Keep these in a waterproof bag
  • Pencil, paper, penknife and whistle.
  • Spare keys to your home and car
  • Spare glasses or contact lenses
  • Baby and pet supplies if needed

Emergency kit on the move

  • Check the weather forecast and pack suitable clothes
  • Ready-to-eat food, a warm drink in a flask and bottled water
  • Mobile phone and charger
  • Any essential medication
  • Spare glasses or contact lenses
  • Cash and credit cards
  • A list of emergency contact numbers. This should be a paper copy, in case your mobile phone loses power
  • Baby and pet supplies if needed

Emergency car kit

  • Ice scraper and de-icer
  • Snow shovel
  • A map in case you need to find your way around diversions
  • Blanket and warm clothes
  • First Aid Kit
  • Battery-operated torch and spare batteries, or a wind-up torch
  • Battery-operated radio and spare batteries, or a wind-up radio
  • Jump leads

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet