Proposed changes

Our pages in respect of pet shops, the breeding of dogs, cat and dog boarding establishments, and riding establishments detail relevant conditions currently in force, however we are aware that changes are planned. It is anticipated that parliament will formally make The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, later this year and that they will come into force in October 2018. Anyone operating an animal establishment, or planning to open such a business is strongly recommended to research proposed changes which may impact on their business. We will update our pages to offer links and guidance and updated conditions once published.

Any person keeping an animal boarding establishment for cats or dogs is required to hold a licence.

A licence for this lasts 12 months and will have a list of conditions attached to ensure the health, welfare and safety of the animal during its stay.

If you wish to look after dogs in your own home overnight while the dog owners are away you also require a licence. This term is home boarding.

You do not need a licence for dog grooming or dog walking.

Making an application

You can apply online to renew or apply for a new boarding establishment licence.

If you require a home boarding licence please complete the application form and return to Environmental Health, Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts, NG24 1BY. 

The licence fees for 2017 is initial £165 and renewal £120, for home boarding it is £95.

Doggy Day Care - If you provide a service for looking after other people's dogs during the day whether it be within your domestic home or as a commercial undertaking you need to apply for a licence. Domestic £95, commercial £150. You do not need a licence if you are looking after the dog in the owner's home.

We are no longer able to accept payment for services by cash or cheque.

Payment can be made by calling 01636 650000 for home boarding but for an animal establishment licence payment can be taken online.

Once the application is received, it will be processed and an officer from the council will visit to inspect the establishment. If found to be satisfactory a licence will be granted.

For further advice or to check if you require a licence, please contact us.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌ Like us on Facebook Follow us on Pintrest‌ Follow us on Instagram


Online forms

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet