Universal credit

Universal Credit is replacing several benefits for people who are of working age, on a low income and who are not working. Certain benefit claimants will need to claim Universal Credit via the local job centre.

The following benefits are due to be replaced by Universal Credit and will be included within any award:

  • Income support
  • Income related jobseeker's allowance
  • Income related employment support allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Working tax credit
  • Child tax credit

You can check whether you would qualify by using this calculator.

You will need the following when making an online application:

  • National insurance number
  • Details of any capital held in any bank, building society or Post Office accounts
  • Your tenancy agreement (where applicable)
  • Details of other income
  • Details of other benefits you may receive
  • Details of your household make up maybe required (e.g. partners' income)
  • Your email address and telephone number

Please be aware any delay in applying to the Department of Work and Pensions for Universal Credit can only be backdated in exceptional circumstances.

For further information visit the Universal Credit website.

Council tax support will still be provided by Newark and Sherwood District Council and a claim form will be needed to claim.

Who can apply?

All new applications should be for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit unless they fall into one of the exempt categories:

  • Tenants in exempt supported or temporary accommodation
  • Those with 3 or more children
  • Those of State Pension Credit age

Housing benefit

Housing benefit

Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income.

Can anyone claim housing benefit?

You can claim housing benefit if you live in:


  • You are of state pension credit age
  • You are a tenant in exempt supported or temporary accommodation
  • You have 3 or more children

Housing benefit cannot help with mortgage payments.  If you own your own home, you may be able to claim council tax support

Take a look at our frequently asked questions about housing benefit before you apply. We also have a range of guides and forms that you can download.

Housing benefit is payable in respect of the household. This includes single people, lone parents and married or unmarried couples with or without children. The property must be occupied as the home and there has to be a liability to pay rent.

Claims may only be made in respect of one property at a time except in special circumstances, for example, if you have to vacate the home temporarily through fear of violence.

There are three routes for claiming housing benefit:

  • together with a claim for income support or jobseeker's allowance (income based)
  • by direct application to the council
  • via the pensions service if you are aged 60 or over

If you receive Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income based) we may be able to give you enough benefit to pay all of your rent. However, if your rent is too high we have to reduce the amount we pay.

If you do not get Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income based) the amount of benefit we can give you depends on the income you have coming in every week, as well as other things including:

  • the amount of rent or council tax you pay
  • whether you are single
  • whether you have children
  • whether you have a disability

We cannot give you any help towards water charges, heating charges and certain other charges including meals.

If you have any other adults living with you such as grown up children we may have to reduce the amount of benefit we can pay you.

The National Fraud Initiative

This is an exercise that matches electronic data within and between public and private sector bodies to prevent and detect fraud.

How to apply

If you think you may be entitled to benefit, you need to complete and return a Benefits Application Form (PDF File, 429kb). You can also pick up a form from any of our local offices. Alternatively, call 01636 650000 or e-mail housing.benefits@nsdc.info

If you are elderly or have mobility problems we can arrange to visit you in your own home.  Please contact us on 01636 650000 to arrange a visit.

Benefits appointment system

To book an appointment please call customer services on 01636 650000 or speak to the benefits section.

Benefits calculator

Find out what you may be entitled to with our web benefits calculator.

Severe cold weather payments

If you're on a low income, a cold weather payment may be available to help you for each week of very cold weather in your area.

Find out more information at Gov.UK

Debt advice and financial Support

A number of local and national advice services may also be able to help with financial issues.

Contact Us

For customer comments:


01636 650000

Housing Benefits
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFollow us on PinterestFollow us on Instagram

Online Forms


  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet