Immigration property inspection
What is a property inspection?
When you make an application to the UK Border agency for entry clearance into the United Kingdom, you may be requested to obtain an independent assessment of the number of rooms and occupants for the proposed accommodation.
A property assessment is to ensure the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk. It will also assess whether the property would become overcrowded if any more people were to move in. If the property meets the required standards then we will issue a confirmation letter which can be used as part of a visa application.
When completing the property inspection the following standards are required:
- the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk
- the property has adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities (shared facilities with another family is not acceptable)
- the property is owned or occupied exclusively by the sponsor/sponsor's family (the property is not suitable if it is shared with members of another family)
- the property, if rented, has a copy of a current gas safety certificate (your landlord should provide a copy to you every 12 months)
- the property has a sufficient number of rooms of adequate sizes so that an assessment can be made as to whether or not the property will become overcrowded if more people were to move in
What can you do?
Before you apply for an inspection you should have the following information available:
- Yourself (sponsor) including contact details
- The person(s) entering the UK including name, age, and relationship to the sponsor
- The property they intend to live in, including full address. If rented, details of the landlord and a copy of the current gas safety certificate
- Payment details as the Council currently charges £80 for this service (please note, we no longer accept cash payments)
Once the inspection has been undertaken the sponsor should include the confirmation letter as part of the visa application to the UK Border Agency.
What can we do?
Once we have received the application and payment we will contact you within 5 working days to arrange a date and time for the inspection.
Following the inspection a confirmation letter will be sent to the sponsor within 10 working days which will state:
- the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry the the UK
- the address of the property inspected
- who owns, and who occupies the property
- how the property is occupied, and by whom
- whether the property provided a safe and healthy environment for a potential occupier or visitor at the time of our inspection
- whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK
- the name of the officer to contact for further information