We can offer you so much more
Newark and Sherwood District Council offers a range of other support for businesses in the area:
- Advice on Business Rates payable and on charitable and other Business Rates relief
- Provide a range of commercial property to let to small and medium-sized businesses – mainly workshop premises, but also offices and retail units
- Advice on applying for permits for industrial activities that could harm the environment or human health.
- Help businesses become more aware of risks from crime and support through CCTV, shopwatch and pubwatch.
- Advice on starting a food business, including registration and food safety management.
- Support and start-up assistance for new traders at Newark and Southwell markets.
- Season tickets for Newark and Southwell car parks and also parking for HGVs at Newark Lorry Park.
- Discounted membership packages for businesses at Leisure Centres throughout the district.
- Grounds maintenance services, plus opportunities for corporate responsibility volunteering, and for sponsorship of ornamental planting.
- Entrepreneur Handbook is an information website that provides expert guide and advice for entrepreneurs and small businesses in the United Kingdom. They have an extensive content library covering every aspect of starting and running a business including marketing, finance, sales, human resources, management and much more.
Local Health Initiatives for Nottinghamshire Businesses
Health is important for both businesses and the community and Nottinghamshire has some initiatives that may be of interest to you.
Wellbeing@Work is a free countywide scheme which aims to improve the health and wellbeing of the working population in Nottinghamshire by encouraging and maximising health and wellbeing opportunities for employers and their staff.
Breastfeeding Friendly was launched to encourage businesses and venues within Nottinghamshire to sign up to being ‘Breastfeeding Friendly’ as part of action to provide more welcoming and positive environments for breastfeeding mothers. This follows feedback from Mums, stating one of the main reasons for stopping breastfeeding was ‘the fear of negative comments and confrontation in public’.
Healthier Options Takeaway aims to increase accessibility and awareness of healthier options in takeaway outlets and workplace canteens. We are working with and encouraging local food businesses (including workplace canteens) to provide healthier food options on their menus to enable customers/employees to make more positive food choices when eating food outside of the home environment.
Advice and Support for Businesses
D2N2 Growth Hub provides information regarding financial support and sources of business advice. Visit their website or telephone 0333 006 9178.
Support is also available from local business clubs including Newark Business Club and Southwell Business Club
We work closely with other local authorities such as Nottinghamshire County Council to ensure that you get the best support available in relation to services such as local highways and road improvements.
Brackenhurst Campus is part of the Nottingham Trent University and is set in a 200 hectare beautiful country estate in Southwell. The campus offers a specialist Animal unit, Veterinary Nursing Centre, Equestrian Centre and Glasshouse Complex.
Lincoln College has a campus based in Newark town centre. We work with the college to support businesses with training and recruiting apprentices for their business as well as upskilling their current workforce through NVQs and accredited training courses.
Tax and National Insurance
Support is available from the HMRC for businesses who require assistance and advice on issues such as tax, VAT and PAYE.